MenuSkip to content
- Events & Programs
Intermediate | Each week we will explore themes such as mindfulness, the 5 senses, body parts, desire, memory, trauma, love, and death as we write and share together from in-class prompts. We will also briefly experiment with drawing and meditation exercises paired with writing, as a way to access our senses and memories from new perspectives. No art or meditation experience necessary; just come with your curiosity and an open mind.
Readings will draw from lyric essays and memoir excerpts that utilize juxtaposition, braided structures, and risk-taking from authors such as Roxanne Gay, Sherman Alexie, Melissa Febos, Brenda Miller, and Lidia Yuknavitch. Students may receive feedback on their work from the instructor and optionally from the entire class during the final weeks in a supportive and inclusive workshop environment.
Week-by-Week Themes and Readings:
1. Mindfulness, Vulnerability, and The Five Senses | Readings: Melissa Febos Brenda Miller
2. Braided Essays and Body Parts | Readings: Claire Dederer and Febos
3. Second Person, Desire, and Aging | Readings: Roxanne Gay and Elizabeth Horneber
4. Body Maps, Shapes, and Wounds | Readings: Sherman Alexie
5. Mothers, Memories, and Lineages | Readings: Nicole Walker and Lidia Yuknavitch
6. The Earth Our Body and Body Violence | Readings: Student Papers or TBD
7. The Body of Solitude and Writing Workshop | Readings: Student Papers
8. The Body of Community and Writing Workshop | Readings: Student Papers
9. Writing Workshop | Readings: Student Papers
10. Writing Workshop and Final Reflections
Beginning Fall 2021, we will be adding select in-person classes back to our course catalog. The majority of our classes will still be offered via Zoom.
If a class says IN-PERSON in its title, it will take place in person at our permanent home in Seattle.
If a class says ASYNCHRONOUS in its title, it will take place on Wet Ink, our asynchronous learning platform.
If a class does not have a marker after its title, it will take place via Zoom.
Class Type: 10 SessionsNonfiction
Start Date: 01/30/2018
End Date: 04/03/2018
Days of the Week: Tuesday
Time: 7:10 pm – 9:10 pm PST
Minimum Class Size: 5
Maximum Class Size: 15
Become a member >
$460.00 General Price:
Class has begun, registration is closed.
Anne Liu Kellor is a multiracial Chinese American writer, teacher, editor, and coach. Her essays have appeared or are forthcoming in publications such as Longreads, The New England Review, The Normal School, Fourth Genre, Vela Magazine, and Literary Mama, and her manuscript, Heart Radical, was selected by Cheryl Strayed as 1st runner-up in Kore Press’s 2018 memoir contest. Anne has received fellowships from Hedgebrook, Hypatia-in-the-Woods, 4Culture, and Jack Straw.